Born and educated in the UK, Lucy Mallows worked for 12 years in Budapest as a reporter and editor.
She first worked as a ‘bilingual reporter’ in the Hungarian Parliament, getting the inside scoops from the heart of Hungarian politics, often dealing with Hungary’s relations to its neighbours; Austria, Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia & Ukraine.
In the mid-1990s, Lucy reported from the conflict in Serbia, and wrote many investigatory reports on women in Hungarian prisons, the situation for the Roma minority in the northeast region of Hungary, child labour at Lake Balaton and corruption in Hungarian politics.
She then spent seven years exploring the region as the cultural editor at The Budapest Sun, and simultaneously wrote about Hungary and the entire Central European region for Rough Guides, Time Out, Bradt Travel Guides, Zagat Restaurant Guide and DK Eyewitness guides.
Lucy has published a total of 3,500 articles in leading international publications on a wide range of subjects; from politics to architecture, restaurants to business, history to cinema, sociology to travel.
Lucy has written and co-written more than 27 travel guidebooks on European countries: Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Belgium & The Netherlands.
In 2003, Lucy was headhunted to become Editor-in-Chief at Where Budapest, an international travel magazine and in 2005, she moved to Brussels where she reported from the EU Commission for four and a half years.
She is a consultant on all aspects of Central European culture and speaks six foreign languages: Hungarian, Russian, Slovak, Czech, Spanish & French.
Recently, she moved to Brighton where she works as a freelance photojournalist, travel writer, Hungarian-to-English translator and environmental campaigner.
Lucy first visited Transylvania in 1997, but her links with Romania go back to the late 1980s when she worked as a volunteer for Operation Romanian Villages, and to an early childhood fairytale, ‘The Lost Princess’, written in 1924 by Queen Marie of Romania.
Lucy is a fluent Hungarian speaker and Bradt recognised the usefulness of Hungarian language skills in many parts of Transylvania when they commissioned her to write the very first UK-published guidebook to the enchanting, undiscovered region of Romania.
Lucy is also the author of the Bradt guides to Bratislava and Slovakia, both also exciting publishing ‘firsts.’
Lucy Mallows writes for …
- Disappearing Budapest
- ‘Annie & her Magic Suitcase’ app for iPads
- Bradt Guides (Bratislava 1, 2 & 3, Slovakia 1, Transylvania 1, 2 & 3)
- Liberoguide.com (Europe-wide football website covering every ground, every league)
- The Independent (UK daily newspaper)
- The i (UK daily newspaper)
- The London Evening Standard
- The Guardian (UK daily newspaper)
- Running Fitness magazine
- Timeless Travels quarterly magazine
- Country Gentlemen’s Association magazine
- Saga Travel Magazine
- National Geographic magazine
- Wanderlust magazine
- International Herald Tribune
- Conde Nast Traveller (UK)
- Conde Nast Traveler (US)
- A Luxury Travel Blog (ALTB)
- Rough Guides (Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, The Netherlands)
- DK Eyewitness Guides (Hungary, Budapest Top Ten, Slovakia, Europe)
- Zagat Restaurant Guides (Budapest & Brussels ‘food authority’)
- Time Out Brussels (Bruges, Antwerp & Ghent) 2015
- Time Out Brussels (Bruges, Antwerp & Ghent) 2007
- Time Out Budapest 2003
- Bradman’s Business Guides
- Iceland Review
- Atlantica Jan-Feb 2011
- Oryx magazine, Qatar Airways
- Water magazine
- Cuba Sí magazine
- Travel for ‘When Sally met Sally’ website
- Around Brussels in 30 Days
- CNN Traveller magazine
- Globe Pequot Press
- Budapest Week (1994-1996)
- The Budapest Sun (1993-2003)
- The Budapest Times
- Where Budapest (International Travel Magazine)
- Budapest Dining Guide
- Business Ukraine
- Bon voyage magazine
- SkyEurope magazine
- Ryanair inflight magazine
- easyJet inflight magazine
- ‘Brussels Bites Back’ in SkyEurope
- ‘Green, Green Slovakia’ in SkyEurope
- ‘Back to Bratislava’ in SkyEurope
- ‘Park Life’ words & photos BThere!
- ‘Hot Chips’ words & photos BThere!
- ‘Erasmus House’ words & photos BSpirit!
- ‘Brussels by Bike’ words & photos BSpirit!
- ‘Watery Belgium’ in BSpirit!
- ‘De Kusttram’ words & photos BSpirit!
- ‘Cosmopolitan Chaussee’ in BSpirit!
- ‘Four Festive Cities’ in BSpirit!
- Budapest coffee houses in Wizzit
- Budapest thermal baths in Wizzit
- Mallows on Brno at Fastcheck
- Mallows on Eindhoven at Fastcheck
- Mallows on Lake Balaton at Fastcheck
- Mallows on Poprad at Fastcheck
- Mallows on Budapest at WCities
- Interval World magazine